See section 3.1.2 Governmental structure for their tasks in SR-EIT 2016 on https://eitisuriname.org/en
Regarding the extractive industry (oil & gas, gold and aluminum), MONR is responsible for the sustainable development of the mineral sector, such that optimal revenues are earned by the Government. Institutions with an important role in the extractive sector, under the supervision of MONR, are:
This department is responsible for stimulating the mining sector in Suriname. Further information can be found on their website: https://geologymining-sr.maps.arcgis.com
BIS is incorporated on February 17, 1981 (Decree E-9/ S.B. 1981-14). The purpose of this institute is:
- Knowing and understanding the development within the bauxite sector in Suriname and in international perspective;
- Preparing of policies regarding bauxite for the Government;
- Advising the Government in the execution of the bauxite policy;
- Executing of independent audits of the bauxite activities in Suriname;
- Collecting and processing of data from the bauxite sector.
BIS is currently not active in accordance with its objective. The intention is that with the establishment of the Minerals Institute Suriname (MIS) BIS will be dismantled in due course. As part of the creation of the CIS, work is currently being done on a plan for the transition of the work from BIS to MIS and the dismantling of it.